zomgistania

Main page | About | Articles | Previous Posts | Archives

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Hacking^2

This time, I'll present you a documentary of my ventures into the magical world of Linux, the superior operating system! (note the sarcastic tone)


So I wanted to install mod_mono to my server machine so I can run ASP.NET applications with Apache.

One:
I had to upgrade the kernel

First I tried to build it from the source, which didn't work however. Thinking how to get it back running, I decided to see if the Ubuntu discs I have contain a rescue mode (the box itself is using Debian).

Well they did but... the rescue mode somehow managed to garble the console so text editors and such wouldn't work!

Then trying to figure out how to get them running properly... well, I finally thought about trying "rescue debian-installer/framebuffer=false" boot option, which luckily fixed the issue and I got into a proper console, finally.


So I did the rescuing and stuff (I won't go into details, I'll just say it wasn't very easy). I later found out that I was supposed to compile something called cramfs into the kernel. Well, intrestingly enough the kernel menuconfig utility which is used to configure it before compiling didn't even have an option for it! I would have had to manually edit the config file (which isn't really a very big task, but anyway)...

I gave up with the idea of compiling the kernel and just downloaded a pre-built one from Debian packages. Thank god for that.

two:
I had to install Mono

Mono wanted me to install a new version of libc6. Well, okay, I thought. Let's just switch to the unstable apt-get sources.

Now, then... the libc6 install wanted to remove the kernel. Yes, remove the kernel. Uhhh right! Let's remove it!... not!


Okay, time to go ask some people who might actually know something about this unlike I do!
[Quakenet] /j #debian

The wise man (thanks cortana) of the channel told me about a thing called backports, which might help me.. okay. I yet again change my apt sources.list to include backports and try to install the required things from backports... nothing again. Still running against the wall. I had also the pleasure of meeting Fangorn, the channel jester who absolutely loved me, because my nick (zomg) somehow offended him and "publicly insults religions" and I had also called him a faggot (which I absolutely did not) and whatnot. If you're ever reading this, Fangorn, I love you too!


Continuing my journey, I decided to try apt-get install'ing both libc6 and the kernel. Well well! It told me that kernel is already at the latest version and proceeded with the libc6 installation!. "zomg WINSSS - FATALITY!", I thought... but I was happy too soon.

Then began the fight to install libapache-mod-mono. It would require a specific version of apache-mono-server... which was, however, not even available from any of Debian's package sources! Oh man...


Trying to fix the thing again from backports with no success. Trying to compile it from the source code, which worked but I never got it working with apache...


I thought Ubuntu also had mod_mono, I had seen something about ubuntu and mono.
Looking up the ubuntu package page in Opera, I search their packages... and yay, they happen to have them!

Now, adding the ubuntu sources to my sources.list and updating the cache... apt-get'ing the files... everything worked smoothly. I got the things running, finally!



I wonder if my distro is called Debuntu now...

and finally, maybe some fun! Youtube-links, yay
"Apache"
"Apache" + Painkiller

1 Comments:

  • tbh I haven't done anything "serious" with it.

    It's worked fine for the random things, like running irssi, apache and stuff.


    But things like that... remind me of the old days when you tried to make some game work in DOS =)

    By Blogger Jani, at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home