zomgistania

Main page | About | Articles | Previous Posts | Archives

Friday, May 26, 2006

Haado Disuku

I found a bunch of old Quantum Fireball disks lying around today. I thought I'll install them to my server box, even though they're something like 3-4 gigs each.

It's quite painful to install disks into older computers... The disk I installed the linux on the server is a 40 gig disk. The BIOS didn't seem to support disks that big, so I had to figure out how to make it work. Didn't have the slightest clue on what mobo the box has, so I couldn't upgrade the BIOS. Luckily I found out that I could limit the size of the disk to 32 gigs by setting the jumpers to different locations.

It's always those jumpers. Rather annoying to try getting them out from the slots where they usually are in new disks: inside a connector-like thing...

So I was installing those Quantum disks, which are very reliable by the way, I've had them for years, years and more years and they still work perfect. The disks wouldn't work, not at all at first. I finally realized the jumpers. If a hard disk doesn't work, it's the jumpers (or if it makes a funny noise when you shake it, it's broken ;) )...

Why aren't the jumpers in new disks in a similar place they were on the Quantums? They were right there, easily removable, on the circuitry in the disk! Not jammed and crammed into some small slot like they are nowadays...


The next thing was I wanted to check what was on the disks.. and like I had an idea how to mount FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS partitions on Linux... well, google is my friend so that wasn't a big of a problem anyways.


Now I can host more warez! har!

3 Comments:

  • Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

  • Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home